Bathroom exhaust fans are designed to vent steam, hot air, and odors. Over time, fan blades can accumulate dust, debris, and moisture, creating stress on the exhaust motor. There are a few simple things you can do to maintain your bathroom fan exhaust system to keep it from being noisy and burning out:
- Remove the fan cover.
- Unplug the fan from the housing unit.
- Remove the fan and motor and clean the fan blades and blower wheel. Shake off excess water and dry with a towel.
- Avoid getting the motor wet.
- Put six drops of household motor oil in the oil ports and put the fan and motor back in place.
- Clean the front cover with warm, soapy water or a soft scrubbing solution. Dry and put the cover back in place.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and maintenance. Some fans require more specific maintenance.